BALTIMORE CITY'S HUMAN SERVICES TRANSPORTATION: ANALYSIS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
The eleven agencies with 30 divisions were providing services to handicapped and non-handicapped children and adults, elderly persons, and infirmed residents. Trips were both individual and group. The types of trips provided include medical, personal business, shopping, recreation, social, nutrition, education, child day care, elderly day care, and volunteer service trips. Trips were provided with 155 City-owned, donated, and shared vehicles and through various purchase of service arrangements. The following problems were found with the transportation system as it existed at the time of the study: under-utilization of city-controlled vehicles (hours of use per vehicle per week, miles traveled per day per vehicle, and percent passenger capacity utilized per vehicle per one-way trip); use of professional and para-professional staff as drivers; path duplication; minimal service provided to the physically handicapped; interruption of service when a vehicle was undergoing maintenance or repair; high administrative costs; duplication of administrative support staff across divisions; and overall high costs per passenger trip and per mile. The study recommended consolidation of many of the divisions' transportation services to eliminate the aforementioned problems. An incremental consolidation effort is currently underway.
- Sponsored in part by Maryland Department of Transportation, Baltimore Mayor's Office of Human Resources, and Baltimore Region Unified Transportation Planning Program.
Baltimore City Department of Planning222 East Saratoga Street, 8th Floor
Baltimore, MD United States 21202
Baltimore, MD United States 21240
Baltimore Mayor's Office of Human ResourcesBaltimore, MD United States 21202
Baltimore Region Unified Transp Planning ProgramBaltimore, MD United States 21202
- Katz, D C
- Publication Date: 1978-11
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Adolescents; Aged; Consolidations; Cost estimating; Education; Estimates; Free fares; Local government; Medical services; Needs assessment; Operations; Persons with disabilities; Recommendations; Recreation; Service agencies; Shopping; Social service; Transportation; Transportation disadvantaged persons; Urban transportation; Vehicles
- Uncontrolled Terms: Disadvantaged persons; User needs
- Geographic Terms: Maryland
- Old TRIS Terms: Free transportation; Minors
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Society; Transportation (General); Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00191231
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: May 11 1981 12:00AM