AIRCRAFT ACCIDENT REPORT - NATIONAL AIRLINES, INC., BOEING 727-235, N4744NA, ESCAMBIA BAY, PENSACOLA, FLORIDA, MAY 8, 1978
About 2120 c.d.t., May 8, 1978, National Airlines Flight 193, a Boeing 727-235, crashed into Escambia Bay while executing a surveillance radar approach to runway 25 of the Pensacola Regional Airport. The aircraft crashed about 3 nmi from the east end of runway 25 and came to rest in about 12 ft of water. There were 52 passengers and a crew of 6 on board; 3 passengers were drowned. The accident occurred during the hours of darkness and in instrument meteorological conditions. The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this accident was the flightcrew's unprofessionally conducted nonprecision instrument approach, in that the captain and the crew failed to monitor the descent rate and altitude, and the first officer failed to provide the captain with required altitude and approach performance callouts. Contributing to the accident was the radar controller's failure to provide advance notice of the start-descent point which accelerated the pace of the crew's cockpit activities after the passage of the final approach fix.
- Paper copy available on subscription, North American Continent price $40.00/year; all others write for quote.
National Transportation Safety BoardBureau of Accident Investigation, 800 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC United States 20594
- Publication Date: 1978-11-9
- Pagination: 48 p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation crashes; Approach; Casualties; Crash investigation; Instrument landing systems; Jet propelled aircraft; Passenger aircraft; Radar; Surveillance; Terminal air traffic control; Transport aircraft
- Identifier Terms: Boeing 727 aircraft; Pensacola Regional Airport
- Uncontrolled Terms: Flag carriers
- Geographic Terms: Florida
- Old TRIS Terms: Escambia bay
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00191188
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NTSB-AAR-78-13
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 11 1979 12:00AM