DEPT. OF ENERGY/DEPT. OF TRANSPORTATION GAS TURBINE TRANSIT BUS DEMONSTRATION PROGRAM: PROGRAM PLAN
This document is the program plan for a cooperative project of the Urban Mass Transportation Administration (UMTA) of the Department of Transportation and the Division of Transportation Energy Conservation (TEC) of the Department of Energy to test and evaluate the use of gas-turbine engines in transit buses. UMTA is responsible for furnishing buses from UMTA grantees, technical direction for bus/engine integration, and coordination of operational use of buses in selected cities. TEC is responsible for providing gas turbines, data acquisition/reduction services, and management for the complete project. The project will be carried out in three phases. In Phase I, prototype turbine engines will be used. One turbine-powered bus and diesel-powered bus will be tested at a test facility to obtain baseline data. Five turbine-powered buses will be evaluated in revenue service in one city. In Phase II, preproduction turbine engines will be used. One turbine-powered bus and diesel-powered bus will be baseline tested and ten turbine-powered buses will be evaluated in two cities. In Phase III, production gas turbine engines will be used. Only the turbine-powered bus will run baseline tests in this phase. Ten turbine-powered buses will be evaluated in two cities.
- Symposium on Alcohol Fuel Technology, Wolfsburg, West Germany, 21 November 1977.
Booz-Allen Applied Research, Incorporated4733 Bethesda Avenue
Bethesda, MD USA 20014
Department of Energy1000 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC USA 20585
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Pagination: 59 p.
- TRT Terms: Alternatives analysis; Bus transit; Buses; Coordination; Data collection; Demonstration projects; Diesel engines; Energy conservation; Evaluation; Gas turbines; Income; Management; Planning; Public transit; Testing; Turbine engines; Urban areas
- Identifier Terms: U.S. Department of Transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Comparative analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Bus transportation (Intracity); Demonstration programs
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Energy; Environment; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00191162
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Contract Numbers: W-31-109-ENG-38
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 11 1979 12:00AM