IMPACT OF MOTORCYCLE HELMET USAGE IN OKLAHOMA. VOLUME I: RESEARCH REPORT
A study of motorcycle accidents was conducted during 1976-1977 in the State of Oklahoma. Roadside observations of motorcyclists were completed during 1977. The major results of the study were as follows: (1) Among those persons sustaining non-fatal injuries, the majority of injuries were to the extremities. This was true regardless of whether or not the person wore a helmet. (2) While less than 1 out of 10 helmeted riders received their most severe injury to the head, neck or face, more than 1 out of 4 non-helmeted riders sustained their most severe injury to this area. This result is both important and statistically significant. (3) The helmet usage rate among fatally injured riders was less than half the rate among non-fatally injured riders. Again, the rates were significantly different. (4) In none of the injury or fatality cases investigated was there any direct indication that a helmet had caused or contributed to the injury. (5) Observational Helmet Usage Survey found that 52.4% of the motorcycle riders were using their helmets.
- See also Volume 2, PB-291908.
University of Oklahoma, NormanSchool of Industrial Engineering, 202 West Boyd
Norman, OK United States 73019
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Dorris, A L
- Purswell, J L
- Publication Date: 1978-7
- Pagination: 76 p.
- TRT Terms: Casualties; Crash severity; Face; Fatalities; Head; Helmets; Impact studies; Information processing; Injuries; Jurisprudence and judicial processes; Law enforcement; Motorcycles; Motorcyclists; Neck; Statistical analysis; Traffic crashes
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents
- Geographic Terms: Colorado
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Law; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00191068
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-681 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-6-01483
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 25 1979 12:00AM