FREIGHT CAR TRUCK DESIGN OPTIMIZATION. VOLUME VII. RESULTS REPORT FOR TEST SERIES 1
The field testing in Test Series 1, Phase I, of the Truck Design Optimization Project (TDOP) was conducted for the purpose of evaluating an existing 70-ton (63.6-mt) freight car truck. The truck was tested with many different configurations based upon various combinations of conditions: 4 track types, 2 gib, and 3 side bearing clearances, speed conditions varying from 10 to 79 mph (16 km/hr to 127 km/hr), and curvatures ranging from 1 degree to 9 degrees. The data from approximately 90 tests are contained on 35 magnetic tapes, and the results are plotted on several hundred graphs. While only a portion of the graphs is included in the Series 1 Results Report, the massive amount of data collected and processed during Phase I make it mandatory that the reader become familiar with both the scope of testing in Test Series 1, and the means by which locations within the test matrix of each section may be pinpointed.
- For preceding Volumes, see RRIS 02 175504; Bulletin 7802.
Southern Pacific Transportation CompanyTechnical Research and Development Group
San Francisco, CA USA 94105
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Pagination: 400 p.
- TRT Terms: Bearings; Curves (Geometry); Data reduction; Design; Dynamics; Field tests; Freight cars; Hunting (Dynamics); Information processing; Optimization; Railroad cars; Railroad tracks; Research projects; Tests; Train track dynamics; Trucks; Vehicle design; Vehicle dynamics
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight car dynamics; Side bearings; Truck dynamics
- Subject Areas: Design; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Research;
- Accession Number: 00191066
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-78/12. VII Final Rpt., TDOP-76-026
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-40023
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 25 1979 12:00AM