FUNCTIONAL JOB ANALYSIS OF MOBILE OFFSHORE DRILLING UNIT OPERATIONS. VOLUME IV. APPENDIX
This report is the product of a 2-year study of mobile offshore drilling unit (MODU) operations. The study was performed for the U.S. Coast Guard to provide a basis for establishing marine-related qualifications requirements for MODU personnel. Functional Job Analysis (FJA) was used to prepare detailed, standardized descriptions of the tasks required under routine and emergency conditions, taking into account MODU design and equipment, availability of personnel, and environmental variables. The study addressed all five design types of MODU: drill ships, floating drill barges, submersibles, semisubmersibles, and self-elevating units. Four modes of operation were analyzed: the underway mode (moves to/from the drilling site), the transition from underway status to drilling status, the drilling mode, and the emergency mode (including four specific emergency conditions). The functional area of onboard personnel supervision and training is treated separately. Industry practices in the selection and training of personnel were reviewed for comparison with the experience and training needs indicated by the analysis. The report is presented in four volumes, the first of which provides background descriptions of MODU characteristics and operations, a summary of the results, and the recommendations made by the study team. Volume II and III contain the task data. Volume IV is an appendix of supporting materials.
- See also Volume 1, AD-A062 942.
ORI, Incorporated1400 Spring Street
Silver Spring, MD United States 20910
- Paramore, B
- Smith, J
- Publication Date: 1978-4
- Pagination: 64 p.
- TRT Terms: Hazards; Job analysis; Offshore drilling platforms; Offshore oil industry; Personnel; Specifications; Training
- Uncontrolled Terms: Requirement
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Bridges and other structures; Data and Information Technology; Education and Training; Society;
- Accession Number: 00191021
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: ORI-TR-1242, USCG-D-76-78
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-41903-A
- Files: NTIS
- Created Date: Apr 25 2002 12:00AM