ANALYSIS OF PEDESTRIAN CROSSWALK SAFETY ON ONE-WAY STREET NETWORKS
The objective of the project is to identify unique causal factors controlling accidents experienced on crosswalks of intersections on oneway street networks. Identification of these causal factors will help local traffic engineers and policy makers to accommodate these unique characteristics in planning, controlling or redesigning oneway street networks. However, if the causal factors are only vehicle related, specific proposals for vehicle modifications will be made to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) or other appropriate agencies for possible action. The pedestrian-vehicle incidences addressed by this project is 'Why left-turning vehicles are at least twice as probable to strike a pedestrian in a crosswalk than right-turning vehicles'. The New York City Police accident file was used in the analysis to determine these appropriate causal factors. The report provides analysis which indicates the various causal factors; the primary factor is driver visibility. This visibility is primarily associated with vehicle design and configuration, and lighting. The report presents detailed guidelines for further investigation.
Polytechnic Institute of New YorkDepartment of Transportation Planning and Engineering, 333 Jay Street
Brooklyn, NY United States 11201
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Habib, P A
- Edelstein, R P
- Nwankwor, O I
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 74 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash investigation; Crosswalks; Intersections; One way traffic; Pedestrians; Police; Prevention; Records management; Safety; Streets; Studies; Traffic crashes; Traffic engineering; Traffic safety; Urban areas; Visibility
- Uncontrolled Terms: Motor vehicle accidents; Records
- Geographic Terms: New York (State)
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00190992
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/RSPA/DPB50/78/28Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-70057
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 12 1979 12:00AM