DEVELOPMENT AND CALIBRATION OF AN AERODYNAMIC DISTURBANCE TEST FACILITY. VOLUME I: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY; VOLUME II: DEVELOPMENT OF REQUIREMENTS AND PRELIMINARY DESIGN; VOLUME III: CONSTRUCTION, CALIBRATION AND OPERATION
This report summarizes the development of an aerodynamic disturbance test facility that can be used to study the influence of crosswind disturbances on road vehicle handling. A literature review of ambient wind measurements, wind tunnel tests, and accident data were combined with driving simulator tests and closed loop analysis to develop the requirements for a low cost, transportable, easy to operate, rugged, test facility. The final product consists of 8 independent crosswind modules, capable of providing a relatively constant 35 mph gust over 130 ft test length. Arranging the modules in a semi-random fashion can provide a variable velocity profile over 230 ft test length. Each module consists of a controllable speed 58 hp gasoline engine driving an 8' diameter, 6 bladed propeller. Special ducting and adjustable exit vanes allow for flow redirection and expansion. Remote control of each module's fan speed and engine ignition can be accomplished from individual remote operating stations located up to 200' from the facility.
- See also Volume 2, PB-291046 and Volume 3, PB-291047. Also available in set of 3 reports PC E07, PB-291 044-SET.
Systems Technology, Incorporated13766 South Hawthorne Boulevard
Hawthorne, CA United States 90250
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Klein, R H
- JEX, H R
- Blauvelt, A A
- Ashkenas, I L
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 31 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerodynamic force; Aerodynamics; Anemometers; Calibration; Costs; Crosswinds; Design; Driving simulators; Dynamic loads; Gasoline engines; Gusts; Motor vehicles; Propellers; Reviews; Safety; Test facilities; Velocity
- Uncontrolled Terms: Gust loads
- Old TRIS Terms: Disturbances; Wind measurement
- Subject Areas: Design; Finance; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00190929
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-616 Final Rpt., TR-1085-1-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-6-01403
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 28 1979 12:00AM