TRANSPORTATION CASE STUDIES OF CITIZEN PARTICIPATION
The report demonstrates the current concept of citizen participation in transportation by an analysis and evaluation of four multi-modal transportation projects that have involved citizen participation programs. The selected projects are: (1) Proposed Pulaski Expressway, which demonstrates an extensive citizen participation effort in the development of the Environmental Impact Statement for the planned urban freeway link; (2) New York-Philadelphia AMTRAK Service, which illustrates the citizen participation efforts in formal public hearings; (3) West Chester Pike Bus/Carpool Lane, which originated from a mandate of the Clean Air Act and involved citizens in a project feasibility determination for a plan that would benefit a metropolitan downtown area at the expense of suburban inconvenience; and, (4) Lindenwold High Speed Line, which involved a voluntary citizen participation process for a fare increase proposal.
- See also report dated March 76, PB-265052.
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- SCHUSTER, J J
- Balog, J N
- Humbert, R J
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Pagination: 261 p.
- TRT Terms: Bus transportation; Carpools; Case studies; Central business districts; City planning; Environmental impact statements; Evaluation; Expressways; Fares; Freeways; High occupancy vehicle lanes; Highway planning; Local government; Metropolitan areas; Multimodal transportation; Public participation; Railroad transportation; Sociology; Traffic lanes; Transportation; Transportation planning; Urban areas; Urban transportation
- Identifier Terms: Clean Air Act
- Old TRIS Terms: Central city; Reserved lanes
- Subject Areas: Planning and Forecasting; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00190914
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/RSPD/DPB50-78/19Final Rpt., IFTS-77
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-40098
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 28 1981 12:00AM