GUIDELINES FOR AIR QUALITY MAINTENANCE PLANNING AND ANALYSIS. VOLUME 9 (REVISED): EVALUATING INDIRECT SOURCES
An indirect source, in this guideline, is any facility attracting mobile source (i.e., motor vehicle) activity with carbon monoxide, CO, emissions. These guidelines provide a comprehensive, manual methodology to assess both the one- and eight-hourly CO impact of indirect sources. This methodology encompasses a three-part procedure: First, the physical characteristics of the roadway/parking area network and the projected traffic demand volume are used to determine various aspects of the traffic flow (e.g., delay, queue length, parking area running time). Second, these traffic features, together with other ambient parameters (e.g., year, temperature, geography, hot/cold start ratio), are used to determine accompanying modal CO emission rates. Third, these emissions are input to an atmospheric dispersion analysis that considers variations in source type (i.e., infinite line, finite line, and area), wind speed and direction, stability, road/receptor orientation, and terrain roughness. The evaluation procedure is capsulized using a series of annotated worksheets, graphs, and tables. Supplemental information is provided in appendices that should eliminate the need for additional references in most cases.
Environmental Protection AgencyOffice of Air Quality Planning and Standards
Research Triangle Park, NC United States 27709
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 282 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pollution; Atmospheric diffusion; Carbon monoxide; Concentration (Chemistry); Exhaust gases; Geography; Guidelines; Management; Motor vehicles; Planning; Pollutants; Roads; Stability (Mechanics); Standards; Temperature; Traffic flow; Traffic volume; Velocity; Wind
- Uncontrolled Terms: Revisions; Sources
- Old TRIS Terms: Management planning; Wind velocity
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Geotechnology; Highways; Planning and Forecasting;
- Accession Number: 00190840
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: EPA/450/4-78/001 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 28 1979 12:00AM