SEGMAG MACHINES FOR MARINE ELECTRICAL PROPULSION SYSTEMS
This report describes the application of segmented magnet (SEGMAG) electrical generators and motors for ship propulsion drives. It encompasses the conceptual design of a 40,000 horsepower per shaft, two shaft, drive system for a destroyer type vessel and a 20,000 horsepower per shaft, two shaft, drive system for a hydrofoil type vessel. It also includes a detail design and initiated construction of a 3,000 horsepower per shaft, two shaft, prototype drive system for a land based demonstration. All three drive systems utilize gas turbines for prime movers. In addition to the main propulsion machinery designs, the auxiliaries required for the systems are also described. (Author)
- See also AD-A060782/0ST Appendix: SEGMAG Machines For Marine Electrical Propulsion Systems.
Westinghouse Research and Development Center1310 Beulah Road
Pittsburgh, PA USA 15235
- Feranchak, R A
- Powell, R B
- Miller, H W
- Putnam, T H
- Prines, F J
- Publication Date: 1978-9-13
- Pagination: 385 p.
- TRT Terms: Destroyers; Drive shafts; Electric drives; Electric generators; Electric power; Electric power plants; Electric power supply; Electrical systems; Gas turbines; Generators; High speed rail; Hydrofoil boats; Magnets; Marine diesel engines; Microprocessors; Military vessels; Motors; Propulsion; Ships; Structural design; Transmission lines; Vehicle components
- Old TRIS Terms: Advanced propulsion; Hydrofoil craft; Marine propulsion; Power plant design; Segmented; Ship auxiliary equipment; Turboelectric propulsion
- Subject Areas: Energy; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00190674
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: 78-9B2-SYSTA-R1 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: N00014-77-C-0307
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 28 1979 12:00AM