DEVELOPMENT OF EMULSIFIED ASPHALT-AGGREGATE COLD MIX DESIGN PROCEDURE
The development of an emulsified asphalt-aggregate cold mixture (EAM) design procedure is described. The procedure is based on extensive laboratory and field testing, and uses the Marshall stability equipment and a capillary soak test. The procedure consists of conducting aggregate and emulsion quality tests, determining the compatibility of emulsion and aggregate (coating), optimum moisture content at mixing and at compaction, optimum residual asphalt content, and adequacy of structural and durability properties of the mixture. The mix design procedure is intended to be practical and easily implementable by governmental agencies and others. Several mix designs for actual projects were conducted to aid in verification. Results show the procedure to be practical and reasonable. The study has shown that emulsified asphalt-aggregate cold mixtures are complex, and good engineering design is essential to achieve consistently satisfactory results.
- Record URL:
- Report on Illinois Cooperative Highway Research Program Ser-174. Prepared in cooperation with Illinois State Dept. of Transportation, Springfield. Bureau of Materials and Physical Research. See also PB-283701.
University of Illinois, Urbana-ChampaignDepartment of Civil and Environmental Engineering
205 North Mathews Avenue
Urbana, IL USA 61801-2352
Illinois Department of TransportationBureau of Materials and Physical Research
126 East Ash Street
Springfield, IL USA 62704-4766
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Darter, M I
- WILKEY, P L
- Ahlfield, S R
- Wasill, R G
- Publication Date: 1978-2
- Pagination: 155 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Asphalt concrete; Asphalt content; Base course (Pavements); Cold mix paving mixtures; Design; Durability; Emulsified asphalt; Field tests; Flexible pavements; Mix design; Moisture content
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00190592
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UILU-ENG-78-2006 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 14 1979 12:00AM