DOPPLER ACOUSTIC VORTEX SENSING SYSTEM
This is the final report on the Doppler Acoustic Vortex Sensing System, (DAVSS) program carried out by Avco Corporation's Systems Division for the U.S. Department of Transportation, Transportation Systems Center. The objective of the program was the design of an engineered DAVSS capable of real-time detection, tracking, recording, and graphic display of aircraft trailing vortices. Problems related to such vortices are currently under intensive study by the U.S. Department of Transportation for the Federal Aviation Administration. This report presents hardware and software design aspects of the system. The design of the acoustic antennas and transducers is described. System control, computer hardware and software, and system/subsystem interfaces are discussed.
Avco Systems Division201 Lowell Street
Wilmington, MA USA 01887
- McConville, R P
- Publication Date: 1978-10
- Pagination: 204 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic detectors; Acoustics; Airport runways; Audio media; Cathode ray tubes; Data collection; Doppler navigation; Doppler radar; Jet propelled aircraft; Landing; Minicomputers; Phased arrays; Takeoff; Tracking systems; Vortices; Wakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic detection; Acoustic tracking; Aircraft landing; Cathode ray tube screens; Doppler system; Magnetic recording systems; Trailing vortices; Vortex advisory system
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Pavements; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00190578
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-RD-76-41 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-710
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1979 12:00AM