RAIL SAFETY/EQUIPMENT CRASHWORTHINESS. VOLUME I. A SYSTEMS ANALYSIS OF INJURY MINIMIZATION IN RAIL SYSTEMS
The Department of Transportation, Transportation Systems Center (TSC), is providing technical assistance to the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) in a program to improve railroad safety and efficiency by providing a technological basis for improvement and possible regulation in rail vehicle crashworthiness, inspection and surveillance of equipment, and other areas. As part of this program, TSC is conducting technical analyses of passenger railcar collisions, derailments, and other accidents, directed towards minimizing occupant injuries. The document, the first of four volumes, reports on the collection of data for a representative accident sample, the analysis of the data to identify injury types, locations, and, when possible, injury causal factors. Vehicle interior design details are also considered in conjunction with the accident data to compile a list of potential improvements in occupant protection.
- See also Volume 2, PB-289148. Also available in set of 4 reports PC E06, PB-289 146-SET.
Boeing Vertol CompanySurface Transportation Systems Department, P.O. Box 16858
Philadelphia, PA United States 19142
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Reilly, M J
- Jines, R H
- Tanner, A E
- Publication Date: 1978-7
- Pagination: 265 p.
- TRT Terms: Components; Crash injury research; Crash investigation; Crashes; Crashworthiness; Data collection; Derailments; Design; Design standards; Information processing; Injuries; Passenger cars; Passenger transportation; Passengers; Railroad cars; Railroad trains; Research; Safety engineering; Simulation; Specifications; Systems analysis; Transportation safety; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria; Passenger safety
- Old TRIS Terms: Passenger car design
- Subject Areas: Design; Passenger Transportation; Railroads; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00190536
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-77/73.I Intrm Rpt., DOT-TSC/FRA-77-15-1, D339-10047-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-821-1
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 14 1979 12:00AM