TRAFFIC SURVEILLANCE DATA PROCESSING IN URBAN FREEWAY CORRIDORS USING KALMAN FILTER TECHNIQUES
Real-time surveillance of traffic conditions on urban freeway corridors using spatially discrete presence detectors is addressed. Using a finite-dimensional (macroscopic) fluid-analog model for freeway vehicular traffic flow, an extended Kalman filter is proposed as a data-processing algorithm to obtain minimum variance estimates of spatial mean speed and density. It is shown that certain model parameters associated with available roadway capacity can be estimated on-line with a variation of the extended Kalman filter, and furthermore, that the time signatures associated with these estimates provide quantitative information concerning the presence of anomalous (i.e., incident) traffic events. Performance of the surveillance algorithm is evaluated using a detailed, multi-lane microscopic vehicle simulation which retains a stochastic mix of driver-vehicle types and passing. Complexity problems associated with the computer implementation of the extended Kalman filter are addressed, and techniques for decentralized realization are proposed.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyElectronics Systems Laboratory
Cambridge, MA United States
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- HOUPT, P K
- Athans, M
- Orlhac, D G
- Mitchell, W J
- Publication Date: 1978-11
- Pagination: 198 p.
- TRT Terms: Algorithms; Estimates; Freeways; Highway traffic; Highway traffic control; Information processing; Mathematical models; Methodology; Partial differential equations; Performance; Real time control; Simulation; Stochastic processes; Surveillance; Traffic control; Traffic engineering; Traffic flow; Traffic surveillance; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models
- Old TRIS Terms: Real time operation; Vehicular traffic
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00190513
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-RSPA-78-18 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-849
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1979 12:00AM