MULTIDISCIPLINARY ACCIDENT INVESTIGATION, SINGLE VEHICLE ACCIDENT STUDY. VOLUME I. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The general objectives of the study were to determine the nature and causes of single vehicle accidents, describe their resulting consequences, and develop recommendations to effect a reduction in the frequency and severity of these accidents. Analyses were based on in-depth investigations of 609 single vehicle accidents in Dade County, Florida, and police reported data on all County accidents during the study period. Comparisons of single vehicle and non-single vehicle accident characteristics were made as well as comparisons involving fatal and alcohol involved single vehicle accidents. Causal factors for accident causation and injury production were identified and certain quantitative models developed. The models include consideration of the effectiveness of breakaway light standards and energy absorbing devices, the redirection capabilities of curbs, roadway departure characteristics, and speed relationships. The analyses were used to develop and support countermeasure recommendations.
- See also Volume 2, PB-288850. Also available in set of 3 reports PC E11, PB-288 848-SET.
University of Miami, Coral GablesMarine Laboratory
Coral Gables, FL United States 33124
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Kurucz, C N
- Morrow, B W
- Fogarty, W J
- Janicek, A
- Klapper, J
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Pagination: 27 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Crash causes; Crash cushions; Crash injury research; Crash investigation; Crash rates; Crash reports; Crash severity; Crash types; Crashes; Drunk drivers; Drunk driving; Fatalities; Human factors engineering; Injuries; Mathematical models; Poles (Supports); Prevention; Research; Safety; Safety equipment; Single vehicle crashes; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models; Motor vehicle accidents
- Geographic Terms: Florida
- Old TRIS Terms: Attenuators
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00190505
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-652 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-060-3-671
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 14 1979 12:00AM