IN-SERVICE PERFORMANCE AND COSTS OF METHODS TO CONTROL URBAN RAIL SYSTEM NOISE. INITIAL TEST SERIES REPORT
The purpose of this project is to determine the acoustic and economic effectiveness of resilient wheels, damped wheels, wheel truing, and rail grinding for reducing wheel/rail noise on urban rail transit systems. The project consists of a six-phase series of field tests being performed on the Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority System's Market Frankford Line, and in-depth interviews with management and operating personnel of the North American steel wheeled rapid transit systems regarding their experience with the above mentioned noise abatement procedures. This is the third report of this project. The first two reports, the Experimental Design and the Test and Evaluation Plan contained the procedures to be followed in conducting the project. This report includes: (a) the results of the testing performed in Phases I, II, and III including tentative recommendations; (b) changes which have occurred to the Experimental Design and to the Test Evaluation Plan; (c) economic data for the wheel types, rail grinding equipment, and wheel truing equipment under consideration; (d) a preliminary discussion of problems and enumeration of constraints which are relevant to use of these techniques on other systems; (e) a summary of remaining testing to be accomplished under the program including recommended changes to the Experimental Design or to the Test and Evaluation Plan. It has been determined that overall noise reduction obtained by use of the various techniques is limited by the noise of the propulsion system.
- Prepared in cooperation with Wilson, Ihrig and Associates, Inc., Oakland, CA. See also report dated May 76, PB-257200.
De Leuw, Cather and Company1201 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20036
Wilson, Ihrig and Associates5776 Broadway
Oakland, CA USA 94618
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA USA 02142
- Shipley, R L
- Saurenman, H J
- Publication Date: 1978-8
- Pagination: 414 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Analysis; Car wheels (Railroads); Costs; Damping (Physics); Grinding; Lathes; Machining; Noise; Noise control; Noise sources; Rail grinding; Railroad tracks; Railroads; Rapid transit; Tests; Urban transportation; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Noise reduction
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Grinding material removal; Rapid transit noise; Rapid transit railways; Resilient wheels; Turning machining
- Subject Areas: Environment; Finance; Public Transportation; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00190503
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-UMTA-78-32 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-1053
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1981 12:00AM