This review paper on the art and craft of tunnel boring discusses the evolution of mechanized tunnel construction from prehistoric to modern times. Specific technical achievements and notably innovative projects are described. The modern boring machine and the optional methods for overcoming varying ground conditions are presented. The conclusion provides a hint for future development trends.
- For Meeting held August 7-10, 1978.
Warrendale, PA United States 15096
- FRIANT, J E
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Boring; Construction; Tunneling; Tunneling machines; Types of machines
- Old TRIS Terms: Rewviews; Tunnels and tunneling
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00190271
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: SAE 780676 Preprint
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 26 1979 12:00AM