SHIPBOARD DATA MULTIPLEX SYSTEM--ENGINEERING DEVELOPMENT ASPECTS AND APPLICATIONS
The Shipboard Data Multiplex System (SDMS) is a general purpose information transfer system directed toward fulfilling the internal data intercommunication requirements of a variety of naval combatant ships and submarines in the 1980-1990 time frame. The need for a modern data transfer system of the size and capability of SDMS has been increased in unison with the sophistication of shipboard electronic equipment and the associated magnitude of equipment-to-equipment signal traffic. Instead of the miles of unique cabling that must be specifically designed for each ship, SDMS will meet information transfer needs with general-purpose multiplex cable that will be installed according to a standard plan that does not vary with changes to the ship's electronics suite. Perhaps the greatest impact of SDMS will be the decoupling of ship subsystems from each other and from the ship. Standard multiplex interfaces will avoid the cost and delay of modifying subsystems to make them compatible. The ability to wire a new ship according to a standard multiplex cable plan, long before the ship subsystems are fully defined, frees both the ship and the subsystems to develop at their own pace, will allow compression of the development schedules and will provide ships with more advanced subsystems. This paper describes the SDMS system as it is currently being developed in the Engineering Development stage by the U.S. Navy. The results of preliminary design studies on the DDG-47 Class and SSN submarine platforms are also presented.
- Sixteenth Annual Technical Symposium of the Association of Scientists and Engineers of the Naval Sea Systems Command, held in Arlington, Virginia, March 30, 1979.
Association of Scientists and Engineers of NASSCDepartment of the Navy
Washington, DC United States 203632
- Blackwell, L M
- Publication Date: 1979-3
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 19 p.
- TRT Terms: Communication; Cost effectiveness; Costs; Data communications; Electric cables; Electronic equipment; Machinery; Military vessels; Monitoring; Multiplexing; Ships
- Old TRIS Terms: Electrical cable costs; Shipboard communications
- Subject Areas: Finance; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00190243
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of Scientists and Engineers of NASSC
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 25 1979 12:00AM