IVCS--A MODERN INTERGRATED COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM FOR FLEET-WIDE APPLICATION
IVCS is the Navy's newest and most modern interior communications system. It is the Navy's only qualified integrated shipboard voice distribution system, and received approval for service use in 1978. It operates under processor control to provide the high degree of flexibility demanded to meet the varied missions of today's naval vessels. The production version of the first-generation system has been fully operational since 1975 and has produced favorable operational experience. System enhancements have been accomplished with an efficiency not previously seen in modifying interior communications systems. This ease of modification is a characteristics of the IVCS and its software control features, and will apply to all ships regardless of their type or mission. A modified first-generation system is in the AEGIS base line, and many exciting innovations are planned to meet the AEGIS mission. And finally, a second-generation system is being tested that increases the modularity, flexibility, and cost-effectiveness of the IVCS to enable fleet-wide application. The resulting system provides one common design for the 1980's which will satisfy all of the interior communitcation needs of the Navy--on all ships--from the smallest to the largest.
- Sixteenth Annual Technical Symposium of the Association of Scientists and Engineers of the Naval Sea Systems Command, held in Arlington, Virginia, March 30, 1979.
Association of Scientists and Engineers of NASSCDepartment of the Navy
Washington, DC USA 203632
- McDonnell, J T
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: 35 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic control; Communication; Communication systems; Data communications; Integrated systems; Microprocessors; Military vessels; Ships; Speech; Voice communication
- Old TRIS Terms: Automatic control systems; Microprocessor applications; Shipboard communications
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00190240
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of Scientists and Engineers of NASSC
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 25 1979 12:00AM