GUIDELINES FOR UNDERTAKING A NEIGHBORHOOD TRANSPORTATION NEEDS ASSESSMENT
The purpose of this Manual is to present guidelines by which a neighborhood organization or individual citizens can analyse their transportation needs and present their problems to the proper agency so that they will get that agency's attention and a serious evaluation of their problem. The Manual provides instructions, information, sources, and guidelines which may be used by neighborhood organizations to undertake analysis of transportation problems in their area. The main body of this report is subdivided into the three major areas into which most neighborhood related transportation problems fall: transit projects, parking projects, and traffic projects. Typical problems, and a suggested format to solve the problems are contained in each of these three sections. These problems were included because they were identified by neighborhoods as being serious problems and they seemed solvable, if the neighborhoods take the proper approach. Based on a literature review, results from a national questionnaire, and two case studies in neighborhoods (Baltimore and Pittsburgh), the report concludes that the problems discussed in this Manual appear to be the major transportation problems now affecting the neighborhoods in the United States. The Appendixes contain typical forms which can be used to collect data, a list of useful references, a discussion of the field survey which was performed along with the actual survey questionnaires, the warrants for stop signs and traffic signals, an appreciation for other neighborhood transportation problems, and a glossary of terms. /UMTA/
- Sponsored by the Urban Mass Transportation Administration. Related reports: "Urban Transportation and Neighborhood Preservation," UMTA-MD-11-0003-79-2; "Pittsburgh's Central Northside Neighborhood: A Transportation Case Study," UMTA-MD-11-0003-79-3; and "Baltimore's Hollins Park Neighborhood: A Transportation Case Study," UMTA-MD-11-0003-79-4.
University of Maryland, College ParkTransportation Studies Center, Department of Civil Engineering
College Park, MD USA 20742
- Mulinazzi, T E
- SMAILES, J A
- Bish, R L
- Publication Date: 1978-11
- Pagination: 124 p.
- TRT Terms: Guidelines; Manuals; Needs assessment; Pavements; Smoothness; Transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Pavement smoothness
- Subject Areas: Pavements; Planning and Forecasting; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00190228
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-MD-11-0003-79-1Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 26 1981 12:00AM