GUIDELINES FOR THE IDENTIFICATION OF THE TRANSPORTATION NEEDS OF THE ELDERLY AND THE HANDICAPPED
The preparation of these guidelines by the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) was financed through a technical study grant from UMTA. The report aims to provide assistance to planners, decision-makers, and other interested persons responsible for including the needs of the elderly and handicapped (E&H) in the planning process. The intent of the guidelines is to promote efficiency and effectiveness in supplemental specialized transportation through the application of procedures to identify unmet needs of the E&H population. The procedures herein include: defining the terms "elderly" and "handicapped"; locating and identifying the local populations of the E&H; determining mobility patterns in order to examine their lifestyles; examining existing Federal and State laws, rules, regulations, and policies of the E&H population; examining existing programs, grants, and governmental human service agencies providing service for the E&H; identifying local providers of specialized transportation; determining the unmet needs of the E&H; and implementing a plan designed not only to provide for the needs of the transportation disadvantaged but also designed to encourage the coordination of transportation services for maximum use of existing manpower and facilities, as well as maximzation of benefits to the E&H population. This report contains a bibliography and the following appendixes: Funding Sources Matrix; Inventory of Providers of Transportation for the Elderly and Handicapped; Report-"UMTA Planning Guidance with Respect to Elderly and Handicapped Transportation Requirements"; and Interagency Agreements. /UMTA/
- Sponsored by the Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
Sacramento, CA USA 95807
- Hackett Jr, L W
- Publication Date: 1978-11
- Pagination: 337 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Guidelines; Inventory; Needs assessment; Physically handicapped persons; Regulations; Transportation; Transportation planning
- Old TRIS Terms: Special service
- Subject Areas: Law; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00190227
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-CA-09-8002-79-1Tech Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: May 26 1979 12:00AM