SAN FRANCISCO MUNI TRANSPORTATION PLANNING OPERATIONS AND MARKETING STUDY
MUNI has embarked upon a massive revitalization program, including the acquisition of new rolling stock and the rehabilitation of its support facilities. The main objective of the MUNI Transportation Planning Operations and Marketing (POM) study was to develop a five-year transit improvement program for MUNI based upon an analysis of existing transit demands and service capability. Additionally, the study was undertaken to provide information needed to plan more detailed investigations relating to transit priority street programs, maintenance facilities, and the street railway system. This document is a summary of a report by Wilbur Smith and Associates, on a detailed two-year study of MUNI transit service improvements needs. It provides an overview of inventories and evaluation of MUNI services, and main features of a recommended short-term improvement plan and program. The main thrust of the recommendations is aimed at more efficient use of existing public transportation resources. Recommendations include comprehensive modifications of MUNI routes and headways; a transit priority street program to facilitate transit vehicle movement on congested streets; an extension of the J streetcar line to improve operating efficiency; site plans and design criteria for a new bus maintenance facility needed to reduce operating costs; a set of basic goals, standards and criteria for MUNI service; and various management actions which would improve the quality of service. The work described herein represents only the first of several phases of a complete planning, operations, and marketing program. The recommendations aim to provide the framework for a continuing process of plan refinement and implementation. /UMTA/
- Sponsored by the Urban Mass Transportation Administration. Technical materials prepared as part of MUNI POM study, together with all letters and other communications received from public agencies, private organizations, and individuals are available for review at the MUNI Library, (415) 558-5441.
Smith (Wilbur) and Associates111 Pine Street
San Francisco, CA United States
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: 35 p.
- TRT Terms: Buses; Market research; Routing; Strategic planning; Transportation planning; Travel demand; Trolley cars; Urban transportation; Vehicle maintenance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Capacity
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00190215
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-CA-09-0025-78-1Summ Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 26 1979 12:00AM