USE OF SYNTHETIC RUBBER IN ASPHALT PAVEMENT TO DETERMINE MIXTURE BEHAVIOR, PAVEMENT PERFORMANCE AND THERMORHEOLOGICAL PROPERTIES
The project consists of sixteen experimental tests sections, each 150 feet long, constructed as part of a primary highway project on U.S. 50 & 6 near Green River, Utah, in August 1968. The purpose of the construction of these test sections were to evaluate whether or not a synthetic rubber can beneficially modify asphalt cement and subsequently enhance the qualities of a bituminous concrete. Additional factors analyzed have been the ten first order interactions: TB, TS, TV, TC, BS, SV and VC. The following thermorheological properties were also evaluated, principally to determine the effects of the synthetic rubber additive on their behavior: creep compliance, compressive strength, stiffness, ultimate compressive strain and indirect tensile strength. In the evaluation of test data rubber had the most noticeable effect on the thermorheological properties. Its effect on laboratory tests, such as ductility and viscosity were usually the same as those resulting from a comparable testing using a high viscosity asphalt.
- Prepared in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration. Sponsored by the Utah Department of Transportation.
Utah Department of Public Safety317 State Office Building
Salt Lake City, UT United States 84114
University of Utah, Salt Lake City307 Park Building
Salt Lake City, UT United States 84112
- Peterson, D E
- Sorbe, V K
- Sy, C C
- Lai, J S
- Publication Date: 1976-6
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 219 p.
- TRT Terms: Asphalt cement; Asphalt concrete; Compressive strength; Ductility tests; Mixtures; Pavement performance; Rheology; Rubberized bitumen; Stiffness; Synthetic rubber; Tensile strength; Viscosity
- Old TRIS Terms: Viscosity test
- Subject Areas: Construction; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00190170
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-77-S0664 Final Rpt., FCP 45C2-091
- Contract Numbers: 500-903
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 11 1979 12:00AM