OCEANIC WAVE MEASUREMENT SYSTEM
A system which utilizes a barometer to measure oceanic waves is presented. The basic novelty of the invention lies in combining the technique of obtaining a height signal by barometric measurement and effecting crest-to-trough measurements each half cycle of wave motion, whereby a complete history of crest-to-trough and trough-to-crest measurements is recorded. The invention conveniently provides for the additional measurements of average wave frequency and significant wave height.
- This Government-owned invention available for U.S. licensing and, possibly, for foreign licensing.
National Aeronautics and Space AdministrationMarshall Space Flight Center
Huntsville, AL USA 35812
- HOLMES, J F
- Miles, R T
- Publication Date: 1978-10-16
- Pagination: 13 p.
- TRT Terms: Equipment; Measurement; Measuring instruments; Ocean waves; Oceanography; Patents; Wave height; Wave measurement
- Old TRIS Terms: Oceanographic equipment
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00190089
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-951 423/GA
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 25 1979 12:00AM