ANALYSIS OF WATERWAY SYSTEMS--SUMMARY REPORT
The results of a series of studies relating to simulation and analysis of inland waterway transportation systems are presented. Problems in waterway simulation experimentation, including determining the length of the transient period, identifying locks with Poisson arrival processes, and statistical analysis of autocorrelated data, are investigated. A system simulation model is used to study the operational effects of alternative means for increasing the utilization of existing capacity. A single lock simulator is applied to determine the effects of different lock processing rules, pleasure craft, and chamber separation on tow delays at various traffic levels. Several empirical equations for predicting the equilibrium speed of a tow in a river channel are derived by multiple linear regression analysis. Finally, the components and interrelationships of a comprehensive waterway systems planning methodology are described, with emphasis upon techniques for predicting waterway transportation demand.
- This work was performed for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, North Central Division, under contract No. DACW23-72-C-0009.
Pennsylvania State University, University ParkPennsylvania Transportation and Traffic Safety Center
University Park, PA USA 16802
- Carroll, J L
- Bronzini, M S
- Hayward, J C
- Publication Date: 1972-9
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 131 p.
- TRT Terms: Canal lock operations; Economics; Forecasting; Inland water transportation; Inland waterways; Inland waterways traffic; Investments; Locks (Waterways); Mathematical models; Planning; Rivers; Ship pilotage; Simulation; Statistical analysis; Systems analysis; Transportation; Transportation planning; Tug ship interaction; Waterways
- Old TRIS Terms: Inland waterways economics; Inland waterways transportation; Investment planning; River navigation; Simulated waterways; Transportation system analysis; Tug barge operations
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Planning and Forecasting; Terminals and Facilities; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00190087
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Pennsylvania State University, University Park
- Report/Paper Numbers: TTSC 7212 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DACW23-72-C-0009
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 25 1979 12:00AM