GOODS TRANSPORTATION IN URBAN AREAS--GTUA III. PROCEEDINGS OF THE THIRD ENGINEERING FOUNDATION CONFERENCE, SEA ISLAND, GEORGIA, 4-9 DECEMBER 1977
A five-day conference to explore contemporary issues in urban goods movement (UGM) was organized by representatives of the Transportation Research Board, American Society of Civil Engineers, Institute of Transportation Engineers, and the Federal Highway Administration. The Third Conference on "Goods Transportation in Urban Areas," reported in this volume, was held at The Cloister, Sea Island, Georgia, December 4-9, 1977, under the auspices of the Engineering Foundation. Five special topics were probed and reported upon by workteams, namely: 1) traffic engineering and design to facilitate UGM; 2) impact of local government regulations; 3) interface between Federal regulations and UGM; 4) UGM in regional system planning; and 5) locating and servicing major urban freight generators. In addition to Probe Group reports and recommendations, there are presented 40 keynote, summary and resource papers covering such topics as data requirements, time value of cargo, service trucks, terminal design and location, transportation system management, planning methodology and case studies, intermodal transfer, freight regulation and economics.
Engineering Foundation Conferences347 East 47th Street
New York, NY United States 10017
- Fisher, G P
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Pagination: 824 p.
- TRT Terms: Commodities; Conferences; Economics; Freight service; Freight terminals; Freight transportation; Intermodal transfer; Local government; Regional transportation; Regulations; Traffic engineering; Transportation; Transportation planning; Transportation system management; Urban areas
- Subject Areas: Economics; Law; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00189968
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-FHWA-PL-78-012 Final Rpt., FHWA-PL-78-012
- Contract Numbers: 8-3-0020
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 26 1979 12:00AM