CONTINUOUSLY REINFORCED CONCRETE OVERLAYS ON EXISTING PORTLAND CEMENT CONCRETE PAVEMENT
Five experimental sections of CRC overlay over an existing resurfaced PCC pavement on Route US 40 were constructed in 1967 as part of Interstate Route 70 construction near Pocahontas, Illinois. Three thicknesses of overlay and two separate amounts of longitudinal reinforcement were used in the experimental sections. Observations and measurements were carried out over a 10-year period to evaluate the behavior of the experimental overlays under I-80 regular mixed traffic. During that period the pavements carried in excess of 7,000,000 equivalent 18-kip single-axle load applications with very little change in riding quality or level followed the normal trend for regular CRC pavement, and edge deflections were very small for all test sections. Changes in transverse crack width from summer to winter were small for all sections, and decreased with increasing slab thickness. Recommendations are included for design and construction of overlays relative to minimum overlay thickness, amount of longitudinal steel, use of a bituminous leveling course as a bond breaker, and tolerances for overlay thickness control during construction. /Authors/
- Study title: IHR-36, An Investigation of Continuously Reinforced Concrete Pavement. This study is being conducted in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration.
Illinois Department of TransportationBureau of Materials and Physical Research
126 East Ash Street
Springfield, IL United States 62704-4766
- Dhamrait, J S
- SCHWARTZ, D R
- Publication Date: 1978-5
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 38 p.
- TRT Terms: Continuously reinforced concrete pavements; Deflection; Longitudinal reinforcement; Overtopping; Pavement design; Pavement performance; Paving; Portland cement concrete; Transverse cracking
- Old TRIS Terms: Overfills
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00189961
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Illinois Department of Transportation
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-IL-PR-80 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: May 11 1979 12:00AM