SHIPPING--HOW IT WORKS
This crisp but comprehensive guide to the worldwide shipping industry's structure and operation should prove useful to a wide range of readers, from apprentices and students to ships' officers and executives in shipping companies, shipyards, ports and brokers' offices. Written in English by two well-informed Swedish shipping journalists, the book gives a brief historical background to shipping and a review of seaborne trade with separate chapters on bulk, oil, tramp and reefer shipping, each describing the structure and operation of those markets with summaries, maps and statistics. Other chapters cover liner shipping and political trends, how the marine insurance market works, the operation of shipping companies, ports and ships, the freight markets and the economics of shipping. In a final chapter the authors summarise their views on the state of the shipping industry at mid-1978 and predict its probable course of development between now and the mid-1980s. The considerable number of illustrations of ships and over 30 colored graphs and maps add value to the book which is thoroughly recommended as either an introduction, a reference source or an update on the shipping industry.
Rinman and Linden ABP.O. Box 53088
400 14 Gothenburg 53, Sweden
- Rinman, T
- Linden, R
- Publication Date: 1979
- Pagination: 192 p.
- TRT Terms: Bulk cargo; Directories; Economic analysis; Economics; Freight traffic; Liner shipping; Marine insurance; Market surveys; Markets; Shipping; Statistics; Trade; Tramp shipping; Trend (Statistics)
- Old TRIS Terms: Bulk trade flows; Freight markets; Market studies; Shipping economics; Shipping industries; Shipping statistics; Shipping trends
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Economics; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00189919
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: IPC Industrial Press Limited
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 25 1979 12:00AM