ENERGY INTENSITY AND RELATED PARAMETERS OF SELECTED TRANSPORTATION MODES: PASSENGER MOVEMENTS
A study was undertaken to determine the causes of the divergences among published energy intensity values and to prepare a set of consistent values. This volume presents the findings in relation to the passenger transportation modes. After a brief overview of the important factors to be considered and the potential pitfalls facing users and analysts of energy intensity values, a chapter is devoted to each of the major means of passenger transportation: air, automobile, bus, and rail. In each of these chapters, after a critique of the available data sources, a consistent time series of operational data and energy intensity values is presented for the major sectors of each mode. Engineering simulations and data analysis are also carried out, quantifying the principal determinants of modal energy use to facilitate modification of the current energy intesity values to reflect changing operational and hardware-related parameters. Finally, matrices giving the great-circle distances and modal circuity ratios among the 50 largest standard metropolitan statistical areas are included to facilitate intermodal comparisons.
- Prepared for Data Analysis Branch, Nonhighway Transport Systems and special Projects, Transportation Energy Conservation Division, Office of Conservation and Solar Applications, Department of Energy.
Oak Ridge National LaboratoryP. O. Box 2008
Oak Ridge, TN USA 37831
- Rose, A B
- Publication Date: 1979-1
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 177 p.
- TRT Terms: Air transportation; Alternatives analysis; Automobiles; Bus transportation; Competition; Data collection; Energy; Energy consumption; Passenger transportation; Railroad transportation; Simulation; Statistics; Transportation modes
- Old TRIS Terms: Energy intensiveness
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Data and Information Technology; Energy; Highways; Motor Carriers; Passenger Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00189831
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: W-7405-eng-26
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 12 1979 12:00AM