DRAFT GEAR/CUSHIONING UNIT OPTIMIZATION FOR TRAIN ACTION INTERIM REPORT
This interim report describes the work done to date under Task 5-Draft Gear/Cushioning Unit Optimization of the Track Train Dynamics program. Existing analysis tools for estimating train action forces were reviewed. Alternative approaches for analytical representation of currently used draft gears and cushioning units were considered. Based on this initial work, it was concluded that a test fixture car was required to obtain test data on force-velocity-displacement under train action conditions. A test arrangement was conceptualized, designed, and constructed. Concurrently, software was developed for reduction of test data. DTAM, a simulation model developed within the TTD program, will be used for optimization of draft gear/cushioning unit characteristics for train action using typical, severe, and extreme operating conditions which have been defined.
- Record URL:
- Track Train Dynamics Phase II-Task 5.
Chicago, IL United States 60616
- Morella, N A
- Punwani, S K
- Scott, M A
- Shum, K L
- Publication Date: 1978-11-15
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 122 p.
- TRT Terms: Couplers; Cushioning materials; Force; Gears; Instrumentation; Tests; Train operations; Train track dynamics; Unit trains; Validation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Draft gears
- Old TRIS Terms: Cushioning; Slack action; Sliding sills
- Subject Areas: Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00189801
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Association of American Railroads
- Report/Paper Numbers: AAR Rpt R-308 Intrm Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-64228
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 25 1979 12:00AM