The greening of street lighting

Bristol City Council, UK, has a target to reduce carbon dioxide emissions by at least 15% of the 1996/97 figure by 2010. Street lighting accounts for a fifth of Bristol City Council's carbon dioxide emissions. In 2004, the council agreed to buy 60% of the energy needed for public lighting from renewable sources and the remaining 40% from non-renewable sources such as coal and nuclear generation. The costs of going completely renewable for energy are high. Cheshire County Council says that buying renewable energy has helped it reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 27,250 tonnes a year. The council's entire energy bill is #7 million a year. The council is tied to a three-year contract for lighting. The costs of energy for street lighting are high. For councils on the verge of new contracts, prices are likely to go down. Energy from renewable resources is exempted from the Climate Change Levy. All the energy for street lighting is from renewable resources in the London Borough of Redbridge. The Renewables Obligation introduced in 2002 requires licensed electricity suppliers to source a proportion of their energy fron renewable resources.

Language

  • English

Media Info

  • Pagination: 14-6
  • Serial:
    • LIGHTING JOURNAL
    • Volume: 72
    • Issue Number: 1
    • Publisher: INSTITUTION OF LIGHTING ENGINEERS
    • ISSN: 0950-4559

Subject/Index Terms

Filing Info

  • Accession Number: 01061097
  • Record Type: Publication
  • Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
  • Files: ITRD
  • Created Date: Sep 10 2007 2:22PM