ELASTIC FOUNDATION OF DECKHOUSES
The elastic foundation of deckhouses has proved to be a very effective way to avoid deckhouse vibrations, which have caused major problems with regard to the environmental quality in the living quarters for crew and passengers. Well over one hundred ships are presently equipped with elastic foundations of differing designs. The paper deals with various aspects concerning this structural detail. A brief description of the vibration isolation problem is followed by a description of the static and dynamic loads on the foundation elements. A description of various design concepts presently in use if followed by general design considerations such as concerning the frictionless connection between ship and deckhouse for piping and electrical cables. The experimental work is subdivided into two steps, one concerning the characteristics of the foundation elements and the second regarding the overall behaviour of the elastically supported deckhouse. In detailed investigations on a few typical foundation elements the stiffness and strength characteristics regarding the transmission of vertical and horizontal forces are determined. The extent of nonlinearities in the stiffness behaviour is discussed. Experiments with a mechanical exciter on board of acutal ships with elastically supported deckhouses constitute the second step. Here the destinction is made between excitation on the ship's deck and excitation in the deckhouse. Results of measurements on ships in service are also discussed.
- Paper presented at SNAME (Gulf Section) Spring Meeting and Star Symposium: Merchant & Naval Design, The Past in Review The Future in Forecast, Houston, April 25-28, 1979.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- PAYER, H G
- Westram, A
- Publication Date: 1979
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Crew comfort; Damping (Physics); Deckhouses; Design; Dynamic loads; Environmental impact analysis; Foundations; Measurement; Noise control; Static loads; Structural analysis; Structural design; Structural mechanics; Superstructures; Vibration; Vibration isolation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Noise reduction; Structural response
- Old TRIS Terms: Deckhouse structures; Foundations (Structures); Static loading; Structural vibration; Superstructure design; Vibration isolators; Vibration measurement
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00189656
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 25 1979 12:00AM