AN OVERVIEW OF CURRENT AND PROPOSED TANK VESSEL SAFETY AND POLLUTION PREVENTION MEASURES
This paper examines the history of international pollution prevention activities as manifested by the development of international conventions. A discussion of the complex problem of tanker safety and pollution prevention is presented as well as the authors views on the processes which have driven both national and international effort. The paper stresses the need to implement the myriad of recently developed requirements so that the effectiveness of these measures can be proven. A continual increase in hardware or technical fixes to resolve problems which are symptomatic of a system illness is inappropriate in fact and principle. The application of existing systems analysis techniques together with the analysis required by Environmental Impact Statements and Department of Transportation Regulatory Analyses should serve the public's concern of obtaining effective pollution prevention in a cost effective manner. Detailed tank vessel hazard scenarios are offered as a method of determining effectiveness of proposed pollution prevention measures.
- Paper presented at SNAME (Gulf Section) Spring Meeting and Star Symposium: Merchant & Naval Design, the Past in Review The Future in Forecast, Houston, April 25-28, 1979.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Snider, W D
- SHEEHAN, D F
- Johnson, E K
- Publication Date: 1979
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 28 p.
- TRT Terms: Environmental protection; Hazard evaluation; International law; Marine safety; Petroleum; Pollution; Pollution control; Regulation; Risk analysis; Safety; Ship operations; Tankers; Transportation safety; Water quality management
- Old TRIS Terms: Environmental surveys (Tanker pollution); Tanker operations; Tanker pollution prevention; Tanker safety; Water pollution prevention; Water pollution regulation
- Subject Areas: Environment; Geotechnology; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00189636
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 25 1979 12:00AM