PREVENTION OF ACCIDENTS TO CYCLISTS AND MOTORCYCLISTS IN DARKNESS
VERHUETUNG VON ZWEIRADUNFAELLEN IN DER DUNKELHEIT
From statistics given for Federal Germany and other European countries the likelihood of accidents to cyclists is especially evident during dusk and darkness. Those mostly vulnerable are cyclists under 15 years old. For accident prevention purposes, research was conducted with bicycles, mopeds, and motorcycles, in which for each type of 2 wheeled vehicle one was fitted with reflective tyres. For bicycles there was an additional one with yellow side reflectors. For the three tests, in which visibility of a 2-wheeled vehicle was tested over distance, crossing a crossroads and when turning left, the most visible was that with wheels fitted with reflective tyres. To increase road safety it is concluded that all new cycles and motorcycles should be fitted with reflective tyres and also these fitted to old vehicles. The sequence of the research can be followed from pictures in the appendix. pictures in the appendix. /TRRL/
- IZVV: Internationales Zentrum fuer Verbrechens-und Verkehrsunfallverhuetung.
- Publication Date: 1977-3
- Features: Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Bicycles; Cyclists; Hazards; Motorcycles; Motorcyclists; Night; Prevention; Reflectorized materials; Safety; Sound level meters; Statistics; Tests; Tires; Traffic safety; Visibility
- ITRD Terms: 1661: Accident prevention; 1211: Bicycle; 1742: Cyclist; 1221: Motorcycle; 1752: Motorcyclist; 9052: Night; 4523: Reflectorized material; 9150: Risk; 1665: Safety; 6555: Statistics; 6255: Test; 1381: Tyre; 6783: Visibility
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies; Vehicles and Equipment; I80: Accident Studies; I85: Safety Devices used in Transport Infrastructure;
- Accession Number: 00189390
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Bundesanstalt für Straßenwesen (BASt)
- Report/Paper Numbers: Monograph
- Files: ITRD, TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 28 1979 12:00AM