SPECIFICATIONS COMPLIANCE FOR DEPTH OF CONCRETE COVER OVER BRIDGE DECK REINFORCEMENT
This report concerns concrete cover depth over bridge deck reinforcement for a sample of 13 spans constructed under a requirement for 3 1/4 plus or minus 1/4 in. of cover. It is the first interim report on an experimental features project (No. 013675010, "Performance of Monolithic Bridge Decks") to determine the value of "deep" cover as an alternative deck protective system. The report deals primarily with the depth of cover measured on the study spans, although summaries of corrosion potentials, chloride content, and surface condition after 1 and 2 years of service are also included for the record. Also presented are comments on the apparent ineffectiveness of measures taken (concurrent with a requirement for 3 1/4 plus or minus 1/4 in. of cover) to improve cover depth compliance and to reduce variability. /FHWA/
- Sponsored by, and prepared in cooperation with the Federal Highway Administration, Department of Transportation. Study title: Performance of Monolithic Bridge Decks.
Albany, NY USA 12232
- Leslie, W G
- Publication Date: 1978-12
- Pagination: 24 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceptance tests; Bridge decks; Chlorine content; Concrete; Corrosion; Durability; Performance based specifications; Reinforcement (Engineering); Specifications
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00189359
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-NY-78-RR 67,, FCP 44B1-464
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Apr 12 2003 12:00AM