METHODOLOGY FOR DETERMINING URBAN GOODS CONSOLIDATION TERMINAL INVESTMENT AND LOCATION DECISIONS: EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
This report constitutes one of the final reports for a study to develop an Urban Terminal Investment Model (UTIM) for use by planners in designing and evaluating a system of urban goods consolidation terminals for small shipments to reduce the cost of picking up and delivering these shipments in the Central Business District (CBD). The study describes a planning methodology for designing the system which is applied in two phases: the data collection phase which involves interviews with shippers and receivers; a simulation to estimate which involves interviews with shippers and receivers; a simulation to estimate truck travel times; and a sampling study to estimate vehicle loading and queuing times, and the investment phase which involves the application of a UTIM to determine least-cost terminal investment, location, and operation decisions. The report also addresses previous studies that have been conducted to evaluate consolidation terminals. To illustrate UTIM capabilities, the Columbus, Ohio CBD was analyzed with forecasts for a 12-year period from 1974 to 1985. The forecasts were based upon the 1973 estimates of zonal volumes for consolidatable shipments less than 1000 pounds. The results indicate that significant savings in pickup and delivery costs could be realized through the use of a consolidation terminal, and that analyses of the spatial characteristics of urban areas indicate that multiple terminals in some areas may be more efficient than a single terminal. /Author/
- Sponsored by the Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
Ohio State University, ColumbusSystems Research Group, 2070 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH United States 43210
- CLARK, G M
- Ashton, W B
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 28 p.
- TRT Terms: Central business districts; City planning; Costs; Economic efficiency; Freight traffic; Intermodal terminals; Investments; Location; Shipments; Travel time; Trucks; Urban areas
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Freight Transportation; Highways; Motor Carriers; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00189324
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTAOH-11-0001-78-4 Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: OH-11-0001
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 12 1979 12:00AM