APPLICATION OF WATERWAY COMMUNICATIONS, INC. PURSUANT TO SECTION 214 OF THE COMMUNICATIONS ACT FOR AUTHORITY TO CONSTRUCT AND OPERATE A COORDINATED, INTEGRATED, AUTOMATED MARITIME COMMUNICATIONS SYSTEM ALONG THE MISSISSIPI RIVER NAVIGATION NETWORK
Waterway Communications Systems, Inc. (WATERCOM) herein applies to the Federal Communications Commission for authority to construct and operate a maritime communications system rendering service along the Mississippi River, the Ohio River and the Illinois Waterway, from the Gulf of Mexico to Minneapolis/St. Paul, Pittsburgh and Chicago. The WATERCOM System is designed to operate on an automated, direct dial basis, compatible with landline telephone operations. For users not equipped with compatible direct dial equipment and for those requiring operator assistance, manual service will be available through the System. The System will be designed to provide voice, data, teleprinter and facsimile services, weather, navigational hazard and safety information and a vessel location advisory service. In the Application, WATERCOM request authority to utilize VHF Channels 84-87. These frequencies will be used at each System station, with "trunking" being employed to preclude interference between adjacent stations. WATERCOM requests waiver of certain FCC rule provisions, including (1) limitation of initial assignment to one frequency per station, (2) prohibition upon duplication of existing VHF station service and (3) maintenance of watch on Channel 16, the distress, safety and common calling frequency.
- RTCM Paper 180-78/RE-670.
Waterway Communication System, Incorporated,
- Bercovici, M W
- Publication Date: 1978-9-25
- Pagination: 79 p.
- TRT Terms: Communication; Communication systems; Data logging; Distress signals; Hazards; Inland waterways; Inland waterways traffic; Navigation; Rivers; Safety; Ship pilotage; Speech; Telecommunications; Very high frequency; Voice communication; Weather forecasting
- Old TRIS Terms: Data logging systems; Distress communications; Inland waterways communications; Navigation hazards; River communications; River navigation; Safety communications; Vhf communications
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00189080
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Waterway Communication System, Incorporated
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 28 1979 12:00AM