ECONOMICAL COATING PROTECTION FOR FABRICATED STEEL AND PLATE
In Canada, about 90% of the tonnage of fabricated steel does not require sophisticated paint or coating systems. It is the remaining 10% of projects which require careful analysis of the environment in choosing the correct protection system. This paper discusses the economical approaches for the 10% of steel tonnage requiring special treatment. It also describes the advantages and disadvantages of the Deferred Top Coating concept and Prefinishing of Structural Steel from an economic viewpoint. The low alloy or weathering steels, provided they are exposed in the correct environment, are being increasingly selected for bridge construction. The weathering mechanism is based on the steel surface forming a tightly adherent oxide which resists further rusting and pitting, therefore reducing the need for paint or coating protection. A basic paint data library consisting of publications on surface preparation and paint and coating specifications, inspection guides and reports are suggested.
- From the Papers of Sixth Canadian Structural Engineering Conference, Toronto, March 13-14, 1978.
Canadian Steel Industries Construction Council201 Consumers Road, Suite 300
Willowdale, ONo M2J 4G8, Canada
- Perchall, J W
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 45 p.
- TRT Terms: Coatings; Corrosion protection; Corrosion resistance; Paint; Painting; Steel structures; Structural steel
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00188951
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 28 1979 12:00AM