ST. MARYS RIVER LORAN-C PRECISION GUIDANCE SYSTEM IMPROVEMENTS--FINAL REPORT--VOLUME I
This report presents the modifications that were implemented into the St. Marys River Loran-C Precision Guidance System to improve navigation accuracy, graphics display presentation, and system performance. In addition, the degree of improvements under simulated conditions are shown. Prior to the implementation of the system improvements, the United States Coast Guard tested and evaluated the Loran Guidance System extensively on USCG vessels and a commercial iron ore carrier. During the tests several deficiencies were observed in the system's accuracy and graphics performance. The navigation accuracy objective is a maximum cross-track error on the order of 25 feet using Loran-C data integrated with gyrocompass heading information. To achieve this objective the precision guidance system has been improved by incorporating a more accurate Loran receiver oscillator and modifying the Kalman filter and gyrocompass software algorithms. In addition, the rate of processing navigation data has been increased by improving the overall software. Graphics display presentation was improved by modifying the software to reduce clutter on the display screen. Several performance improvements were also incorporated.
- Prepared for U.S. Department of Transportation, United States Coast Guard Office of Research and Development, Washington, D.C. 20590.
Teledyne Systems Company19601 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA United States 91324
- Dietrich, E
- Holdworth, J
- Sturza, M
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 62 p.
- TRT Terms: Equipment tests; Evaluation; Graphics; Loran C; Navigation; Navigation devices; Navigation systems; Radio navigation; Rivers; Ship pilotage; Simulation
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Graphic displays; Navigation equipment; River navigation
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00188832
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: United States Coast Guard
- Report/Paper Numbers: CG-D-57-78
- Contract Numbers: DOT-CG-72552-A
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1979 12:00AM