DIESEL ENGINEERING TRAINING
This paper describes the facilities and curriculum in marine diesel engineering at the United States Merchant Marine Academy. The diesel laboratories have recently been modernized to include current training facilities for the medium and slow speed diesel engines used on ocean going merchant marine vessels. The formal curriculum for midshipmen presently includes two required courses for engineering majors on modern practices in the field of marine diesel engineering. These two courses are followed by a recently expanded elective course in diesel engineering maintenance, operation, repair and control. The Academy also offers a four and one-half week continuing education course in diesel engineering for marine engineers. This course covers the latest state-of-the-art methodologies using the new diesel engineering training facilities. The elective and the continuing education course include considerable practice (hands-on) experience with engine systems, maintenance, operation and trouble-shooting. These courses are specifically designed to utilize the recently modernized facilities for medium and slow speed engines. Details regarding the marine diesel training facilities and curriculum are included in this paper.
- Presented at the Symposium on Diesel Ship Propulsion in the United States, Kings Point, N.Y., February 8, 1979.
United States Merchant Marine AcademyDepartment of Engineering
Kings Point, NY USA 11024
- Francis, G P
- Publication Date: 1979-2
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Curricula; Diesel engines; Education; Equipment maintenance; Marine engineering; Propulsion; Training; Training devices; Training programs; Training simulators; Vehicle maintenance; Vehicle operations
- Old TRIS Terms: Diesel control systems; Diesel maintenance; Diesel operation; Diesel propulsion; Diesel repair; Education programs; Medium speed diesels; Slow speed diesels; Training courses (Diesel)
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00188802
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: United States Merchant Marine Academy
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1979 12:00AM