RAIL SYSTEM INVESTMENT ANALYSIS: DESCRIPTION OF THE RAILROAD INVESTMENT PROCESS
This report contains a description of the investment decision process in the railroad industry. It focuses on techniques for project evaluation and the environment in which investment decisions take place. Some problems associated with the procedures in general use are noted, but the report is designed to describe current practices rather than to evaluate these practices or to contribute to the current state of the art. A sample of 96 investment projects are used to illustrate various approaches to project evaluation and problems associated with capital investment decision making. The information reported here is based on the practices of 13 railroads. It has been collected to serve as the basis for a larger study concerned with Federal assistance to the railroad industry to be completed for the U.S. Department of Transportation. The report may also be of interest to government officials who want to know more about the industry and to railroad-executives interested in comparing the procedures of their company with those of other carriers.
- Prepared in cooperation with R.L. Banks & Associates, Inc., Washington, D.C.
Ernst and Ernst1225 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20036
Asst Secretary for Policy & International Affairs400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1978-2
- Pagination: 129 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Budgeting; Capital investments; Costs; Government funding; Industry structure; Life cycle costing; Management; Policy; Profitability; Project management; Return on investment; Subsidies
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Management policies; Project analysis
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Finance; Policy; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00188697
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Office of the Secretary of Transportation
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TPI-10-78-33
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-60097
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM