AERODYNAMIC FORCES ON FREIGHT TRAINS--VOLUME III CORRELATION REPORT-FULL SCALE TESTS OF TRAILERS ON FLATCARS AND COMPARISON WITH WIND TUNNEL RESULTS
Full scale measurements of the aerodynamic forces of trailers on flatcars have been performed at the Transportation Test Center in Pueblo, Colorado. These measurements were performed by mounting the trailers on the flatcar through force balances. In the two configurations that were tested the flatcar in front of the test car was loaded and unloaded. The tests were quite successful and resulted in consistent reproducible results. In addition to the full scale tests, wind tunnel tests were performed at Reynolds numbers up to 20% of full scale values for the same configurations. These wind tunnel tests supplemented previous wind tunnel tests similar to those previously reported in Volume I of this series. Reasonable agreement, to about 20%, was found between the wind tunnel and full scale tests. This agreement was about as good as between the wind tunnel tests themselves. Rolling resistance was also determined from the full scale tests as the difference between total and aerodynamic resistance. The results were degraded by hysteresis in the coupler force measurement but show good agreement with the Davis relation.
- Prepared for U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Research and Development, Washington, D.C.
Hammitt (Andrew G) Associates30813 Marne Drive
Rancho Palos Verdes, CA United States 90274
- Hammitt, A G
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: 94 p.
- TRT Terms: Drag; Piggyback transportation; Railroad trains; Resistance (Mechanics); Trailer on flat car; Train track dynamics; Wind; Wind tunnels
- Old TRIS Terms: Train resistance
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00188692
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-76-295.III Final Rpt., AGH 11-002-78
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-756-4333
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM