EVALUATION OF IMPROVED TRACK STRUCTURAL COMPONENTS UNDER SUB-ARCTIC CONDITIONS
One area of concern to railroads in the northern third of the United States is the effect of frost heave and subsidence on track geometry. The purpose of this study was to evaluate two methods of improving track geometry and reducing maintenance in sub-arctic environments. Test track sections were installed in frost heave areas of the Alaska Railroad. One installation was designed to evaluate concrete ties with adjustable fasteners. The other installation was designed to evaluate the effect of including an elastic polymer stabilizer in the ballast. The concrete tie adjustable fastener section performed satisfactorily. Ties withstood bending stresses induced by the unfavourable frost heaving support conditions. The fasteners provided an acceptable means of adjusting track during frost heave. Stabilized ballast effectively reduced track subsidence due to weak foundation support. However, other problems such as hardening of the binding material and migration of the unstabilized ballast layer, made the particular system used unacceptable at this time.
- Record URL:
- Prepared for U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Research and Development, Washington, D.C.
Skokie, IL United States 60077
Alaska RailroadReal Estate & Procurement Office RR-20 Box 7-2111
Anchorage, AK United States 99510
- Weber, J W
- Publication Date: 1979-1
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 100 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Railroads); Concrete; Concrete ties; Frost heaving; Inspection; Low temperature; Mechanical properties; Rail fasteners; Railroad ties; Railroad tracks; Stabilized materials; Structural design; Test tracks
- Identifier Terms: Alaska Railroad
- Uncontrolled Terms: Track geometry
- Old TRIS Terms: Ballast mechanics; Ballast stabilization; Track component investigations; Track structures; Track tests
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Materials; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00188689
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-79/01 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-69-25-0003-4144
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM