OPTICAL AUTOMATIC CAR IDENTIFICATION (OACI) VOLUME I--ADVANCED SYSTEM SPECIFICATION
A performance specification is provided in this report for an Optical Automatic Car Identification (OACI) scanner system which features 6% improved readability over existing industry scanner systems. It also includes the analysis and rationale which support this specification. This improved system is a result of design and test of selected modifications to existing equipment. It is projected that a cost reduction of fifty percent and a reliability improvement by a factor of three, along with a savings of seventeen hundred dollars per year due to maintainability considerations, could be realized using the new system. Sections of this report contain descriptions of test data showing the improvement in readability for degraded labels and difficult ambient conditions. Also included in this specification are guidelines for a compact, self calibrating scanner requiring no air conditioning. At the conclusion of the hardware and testing phase of the program, the modified scanner configuration was tested and demonstrated in the areas of optics, electronics, data processing, and packaging. Test results are included in this report.
- Record URL:
- Prepared for U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Railroad Administration, Office of Research and Development, Washington, D.C. This is one of four volumes which provide the final reports for the FRA OACI Improvement Effort. The other final reports cover the subjects of: Systems Alternatives Evaluation Model 78/15, IV (May 1978): Readability and Scanner Performance 78/15.II (March 1978); Optical Properties of Labels 78/15.III (to be published).
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Long, L E
- Publication Date: 1978-12
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 220 p.
- TRT Terms: Automatic car identification; Information processing; Information systems; Maintainability; Performance based specifications; Reliability; Yard operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Performance specifications
- Old TRIS Terms: Yard and terminal information systems
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00188687
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-78/15.I Final Rpt., DOT-TSC-FRA-78-22.I
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM