USER'S MANUAL FOR PROGRAM CONFORM (CONFORMAL CONTACT STRESS PROBLEMS)
CONFORM (Conformal Contact of Two Elastic Bodies) is an all FORTRAN Computer program for the solution of contact stress between two elastic bodies in conformal contact. It is used to find the pressure distribution between the two bodies, the boundary of contact patch, and the total load corresponding to a given depth of penetration. This program is a generalization of a previous program (COUNTACT) which was restricted to the case of counterformal contact. This new program CONFORM will treat counterformal as well as conformal cases. Built into the program are specialized subroutines which enable the user to conveniently specify the surface profiles for railroad wheels and railheads. By reading dimensional information from conventional engineering drawings of wheels and rails the user need not do any programming. For wheel and rail profiles (e.g. worn wheels) which consist of other than straight lines and circular arcs (associated with standard new wheels and rails), the user may provide his own subroutines for describing the wheel-rail geometry. Descriptions of the program variables, input, output, and method of analysis are given. Instructions for problem modelling, preparation of input data, and solutions of sample problems, are included.
- Prepared for U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Railroad Administration, Program of University Research, Washington, D.C.
University of Pennsylvania, PhiladelphiaDepartment of Mechanical Engineering and Applied Mechanics
Philadelphia, PA USA 19104
- Paul, B
- Hashemi, J
- Publication Date: 1978-6
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 81 p.
- TRT Terms: Car wheels (Railroads); Computer programs; Elasticity (Mechanics); Force; Rail (Railroads); Stresses; Structural analysis; Wheels
- Identifier Terms: FORTRAN (Computer program language)
- Old TRIS Terms: Rail stress; Wheel stresses
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00188680
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-78-40 Tech Rpt., MEAM 78-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-60144
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM