LATEST ENGINEERING IN TANK CAR DESIGN
In 1970, an ASME paper was presented by the author entitled "Evolution of Tank Car Design Through Engineering" (1970 PET-35). This current paper entitled "Latest Engineering in Tank Car Design" will supplement the 1970 paper and report on the current state of the art and hopefully dispel some prevalent misconceptions. Studies of accident experience and a comprehensive research program have resulted in a great advance in tank car technology in the areas of materials and design. Also, new U.S. Department of Transportation regulations introduced intriguing new problems that had to be solved. With industry assigning top priority to rail transportation safety, this paper will give one a new insight regarding the problem.
- Contributed by the Rail Transportation Division of The American Society of Mechanical Engineers for presentation at the Winter Annual Meeting, San Francisco, California, December 10-15, 1978.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY United States 10016-5990
- Heller, F J
- Publication Date: 1978-7-20
- Pagination: 8 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash investigation; Regulations; Safety; Tank cars; Vehicle design
- Old TRIS Terms: Government regulations; Tank car design; Tank car safety research and test project
- Subject Areas: Design; Law; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00188630
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: 78-WA/RT-11 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 27 1979 12:00AM