THE EVALUATION OF A NONCONTACT PROFILING SYSTEM USING THE ACOUSTIC PROBE
This report gives a brief review of the GM Rapid Travel Profilometer and how the four States owning one use theirs. From their experience, filter and gain requirements are established for a profiling system. A description of the operating principle of the noncontact profiling system is given including the following components: acoustic probe, acoustic probe signal conditioning, vehicle body motion accelerometer, and the signal processing. A system evaluation procedure is presented along with a discussion of operating experience and difficulties encountered. It was concluded that the present system is usable, however, because of the many bench type components in the system, further development to adapt to over the road environment is recommended. /FHWA/
- Sponsored by the Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Wambold, J C
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: 58 p.
- TRT Terms: Accelerometers; Acoustic equipment; Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Profilometers; Signals
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pavements;
- Accession Number: 00188523
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-78- 43, FCP-21H3-344
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 14 1979 12:00AM