NEW FINNISH BARGE CARRIERS FOR THE U.S.S.R.
The first barge carrier order since the late sixties was placed in 1975 at Valmet Oy, Helsinki Shipyard, Finland, for constructing two 36,600 tonnes(t) 40,350-dwt vessels. These ships, with deliveries scheduled to take place at the end of 1978 and in 1979, will be able to carry 26 Danube-Sea (D-M) barges of 1300 t (1430 tons) displacement. The design described in this paper is based on the Lykes SEABEE concept, the licence rights of which Valmet acquired for the Russian newbuildings. The paper also deals with the operation of the vessels and some future aspects of barge transportation in general.
- Paper presented at SNAME Annual Meeting, November 16-18, 1978.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Koskivirta, V
- Heikkila, V
- Niini, M
- Harjuvaara, H
- Publication Date: 1978-9
- Pagination: p. 1-28
- Publication of: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Publisher: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- TRT Terms: Barge carriers; Barge operations; Barges; Cargo handling equipment; Shipbuilding; Vehicle design; Water transportation
- Identifier Terms: Seabee Systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Barge construction; Barge transportation; Seabee
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00184812
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper No. 11
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 13 1979 12:00AM