OPERATIONAL EVALUATION OF THE EFFECTS OF HEAVY FREIGHT VEHICLES
This study involves the identification of the whole range of truck operational effects, the understanding of the characteristics of each effect, the development of a method for describing the distribution of the impacts, and the quantification of relationships and distributional evaluation in cost/benefit terms. This paper focuses mainly on the first three aspects. The importance of maintaining a proper perspective of the extent of heavy freight transport within the total transport scene is stressed. Road freight transport is described as an economic activity in terms of transport output, the public and private monetary inputs to the industry, and the external effects, of which the main ones are traffic delays, road accidents and environmental effects. The output, inputs and external effects associated with road freight transportation fall on different sectors of the community and the impact is not necessarily equitably identified. Five main community groups are identified and discussed.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/02667045
- This is a paper that was presented at an OECD Symposium "Heavy Freight Vehicles and Their Effects" held in Paris, November 14-16, 1977.
Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)Wokingham, Berkshire United Kingdom
- MARGASON, G
- Corcoran, P J
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: Appendices; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 22 p.
- Publication of: Transport and Road Research Laboratory
- Publisher: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- ISSN: 0266-7045
- TRT Terms: Economic impacts; Evaluation; Freight transportation; Impact studies; Operations; Traffic crashes; Traffic delays; Trucks
- ITRD Terms: 1643: Accident; 8525: Conference; 224: Cost; 226: Cost benefit analysis; 9010: Delay; 263: Economics of transport; 2442: Emission; 2455: Environment; 9020: Evaluation (assessment); 283: Freight; 1112: Freight transport; 741: Goods traffic; 1078: Lock (waterway); 1236: Lorry; 221: Operating costs; 1144: Operations (transp network); 1053: Road network; 2253: Sociology; 6748: Sound; 6555: Statistics; 8119: United kingdom
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Economics; Freight Transportation; Highways; Motor Carriers; Society;
- Accession Number: 00188492
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport and Road Research Laboratory (TRRL)
- Report/Paper Numbers: Supp. Report 417 Conf Paper
- Files: ITRD, TRIS, ATRI
- Created Date: Apr 12 1979 12:00AM